Thursday, August 29, 2024

Seek Knowledge

Believe it or not, I still remember the excitement of the first day of school. The sight of the big yellow bus creating a cloud of dust as it came to the end of our lane; the sound of chattering children  gathering in the classroom; the smell of new textbooks with shiny covers and cool, slick pages that have never been turned; and the taste of a jelly sandwich and Quik chocolate milk from my Flintstones lunch box and thermos.

 

I remember the excitement I felt as I looked through the new textbooks, anticipating the chapters we’d study and all that was ahead to learn. At that moment I wanted to learn it all as fast as possible. It was a wonderful feeling!


I still get that feeling when I read the Bible. God makes scripture new every time I read it. A verse I’ve read hundreds of times can jump out at me with new meaning and understanding that opens a whole new perspective on other verses and chapters. It’s amazing.


Let the wise listen and add to their learning, and let the discerning get guidance- (Proverbs 1:5 NIV).

 

The mystery of Jesus’ life and death foretold in the Old Testament becomes real evidence and proof of our Savior.

 

The discerning heart seeks knowledge (Proverbs 15:14a NIV).


It’s a great time of year to put on our cap of discernment and dig into the scriptures with the same excitement as the first day of school. Bible study, small group, Sunday school, Sunday morning worship, prayer – we can choose the method but whatever we do – let's seek knowledge that strengthens our faith. If we take advantage of the opportunities provided in our churches and communities we will indeed seek and find knowledge that will change our lives. 


Lord, encourage us today to seek You in our lives. Help us draw closer to You as we enter this season of learning. Thank You for hearing our prayers and providing answers in Your time. Thank You for sending us Your Son to be our mentor and guide. We pray in His Holy Name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment