Thursday, August 15, 2024

What Can I Learn Today?

As a 4-H member, years ago, the Fair seasons were always busy. I remember rehearsing a demonstration with one of my 4-H friends over and over before the county fair. We chose a recipe that included an assortment of vegetables and we stressed the importance of eating nutritious foods. We had so much fun working together and learning together. I remember being so nervous before our presentation but I have no idea what the judge said about our demonstration. The benefit came from the partnership and cooperation we practiced. Not from eating the casserole we made!

Every year I love going to the State Fair and to look at the many projects 4-Hers and FFA members have completed and entered. The items at the State Fair advanced from winning at the county fairs; they are the best of the best. The 4-H Exhibits Building and the FFA Exhibits Building are filled with amazing projects. I always consider the hard work that went into the projects. Members also complete a detailed project log with pictures and explanations of their processes. They also must complete even more details to include in their 4-H Record Books and a similar FFA journal that are judged in the fall.

And then there are the livestock projects that appear at the State Fair. I didn't have quality show animals to exhibit at the fairs so I missed that experience. I have experienced the process through my children and grandchildren. It took us many years to learn the qualities, the nurturing, and the showmanship needed to excel. Our sons missed out on our really good sheep. They came in the last year of our youngest son's showing. That year he and a friend exchanged animals so our son also got to show a pig and his friend got to show a lamb. They both excelled that year.

Life if full of learning opportunities. By the time you reach my age some things are forgotten but I still remember the 4-H pledge: "I pledge my head to clearer thinking, my heart to greater loyalty, my hands to larger service, my health to better living, for my club, my community, my country and my world."

I continue to learn especially through reading, listening, and experiencing. The Bible tells us how important it is to read what was written in the past.

"For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you a spirit of unity among yourselves as you follow Christ Jesus, so that with one heart and mouth you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ," (Romans 15:4-6 NIV).

Heavenly Father, fill us with Your endurance and encouragement today. Help our minds be alert to things we can learn and ways we can serve others. Guide us on Your path and let us not stumble. We pray in the Name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment