Monday, August 5, 2024

The Sun, The Son

"The sun, the sun, the big round sun." When I was growing up my parents often led games at church events and one of them began this way. Today we are supposed to experience the big round sun again reaching nearly 100 degrees in the heat index. Welcome to August in Iowa. 

All summer I have been avoiding the sun because of my susceptibility to skin cancer. To be honest, I loved getting a tan each summer. I didn't lay out, but would mow for three hours at a time on our acreage. I would go out at the hottest part of the day to garden or mow or walk. I am paying for my foolishness now.

I must slather on the sun screen and wear a broad-rim hat and a long sleeved shirt. I walk around pale as an egg shell, while admiring everyone else's rich, dark tan.

The book of Psalms describes a mighty ruler's characteristics and similarly the coming Savior Jesus Christ in terms of the sun. The sun's power reminds me of the power of Jesus Christ.

"He will endure as long as the sun, as long as the moon, through all generations. He will be like rain falling on a mown field, like showers watering the earth. In his days the righteous will flourish; prosperity will abound till the moon is no more," (Psalm 72:5-7 NIV).

Scientists say the hydrogen that fuels the sun will eventually run out...in about five billion years. That seems like eternity to me. I believe the Trinity will exist forever more. "Praise God from whom all blessings flow!"

"Let grain abound throughout the land; on the tops of the hills may it sway. Let its fruit flourish like Lebanon; let it thrive like the grass of the field. May his name endure forever; may it continue as long as the sun. All nations will be blessed through him, and they will call him blessed," (Psalm 72:16-17 NIV).

Dearest Lord, thank You for the sun You created. Thank You for its warmth, its light and its long life. Thank You for sending Your Son to shine upon us with Your love. May the sunshine be a reminder of Your constant mercy and grace and love. We pray in Jesus' Name, Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment