Thursday, September 5, 2024

He Watches Me

The hummingbirds at our feeder have suddenly become comfortable with us. We have a hanging plant about two feet away from the red feeder. The hummingbird (one in particular) has taken to roosting on the plant's straps or on top of the black hook that holds the plant. It sits there, as if on guard, protecting the feeder. Whenever another hummingbird tries to drink from the feeder there is a battle in flight. There have been four or five hummingbirds flying around in a dance that I've so enjoyed watching.

The words to "His Eye Is on the Sparrow" were written by Civilla D. Martin and music was written by Charles H. Gabriel in 1905. It was made familiar by Ethel Waters who often sang it during the Billy Graham crusades. I was reminded of it this morning.

"Why should I feel discouraged? Why should the shadows come? Why should my heart be lonely and long for heaven and home, when Jesus is my portion? My constant friend is he: his eye is on the sparrow, and I know he watches me; "Let not your heart be troubled," his tender word I hear, and resting on his goodness, I lose my doubts and fears; though by the path he leads but one step I may see: his eye is on the sparrow, and I know he watches me;  Whenever I am tempted, whenever clouds arise, when song gives place to sighing, when hope within me dies, I draw the closer to him; from care he sets me free: his eye is on the sparrow, and I know he watches me."

Jesus said, "Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms, if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going." (John 14:1-4 NIV).

Dear Lord,  thank You for the beauty of nature, created by Your hand. Thank You for the hummingbirds and the sparrows. Thank You for sending Your Son to be our friend and Savior every single day. Bless my friends and family today with Your protection and love. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment