Thursday, September 12, 2024

My Forever Home

I was listening to a commercial yesterday and heard the term "forever home" used by a construction company. I began to consider what our "forever home" is or was or will be. We have lived in one mobile home and three houses. Of those I would consider our acreage as the "forever home" because we lived there for 25 years. Except it wasn't "forever". 

When I think of home, I think of my parents' home on the farm where I grew up. That three-story farm house was huge. The top floor was a full attic used to store everything imaginable. If you needed anything, Mama probably had it up in the attic. The next floor down was all bedrooms and a bathroom. There was also a wonderful sunporch. There were two enormous bedrooms, two smaller bedrooms, and a large open area at the top of the stairs.

The first floor held the "mud room" of early 1900's, a kitchen, a bedroom, a large dining room, a bathroom, and a living room. There was also a garden porch - an entrance from the garden side of the house where vegetables made their first stop before entering the kitchen. There was a full basement, definitely unfinished where the coal bin was and the furnace that heated the radiators in every room.

"In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you," (John 14:2 NIV).

My real "forever home" is heaven.

"One thing I ask of the Lord, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to seek him in his temple," (Psalm 27:4 NIV).

Thank You, God, that we have a roof over our heads and a bed to sleep in, no matter what it looks like. Thank You for making a place for us to call our forever home in heaven. Guide us this day, Lord, we pray, in Jesus' Name. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment