Monday, February 19, 2024

Our Appraisal

We recently had to get a new appraisal on my wedding ring. The value had increased from when John purchased it as a 40th anniversary gift in 2013. I don't think about the monetary value of my ring when I wear it in the pool everyday, or put my hands in the dirt during planting season, or when I mix up the family's favorite food: noodles. But I do think about the treasure of the gift to me from John and how much it is worth to me as a symbol of our marriage.

My study Bible's commentary suggests that the test of true value is how well something holds up under the wear, tear, and abuse of everyday life. A wedding ring is an example of that. 

Our lives have great value to God. He sent His only Son to die for us on the cross so we could live with Him forever. That is real value. Yes, you and I have great value to God.

"Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father. And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows," (Matthew 10:29-31 NIV). 

Because God puts such value on us, we never need to fear physical challenges or difficult trials in our life. God's love remains constant and His Spirit remains within us. If we stand up for Christ in spite of our troubles we have enduring value and will receive eternal life.

Thank you, God, for loving us so much that You sent Your Son, Jesus Christ to save us. As we walk this journey to Christ's crucifixion, burial, and His Resurrection, be present with us so we can be aware of our value to You. In Jesus' name we pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment