Monday, January 9, 2023

Books

Books. I love to read books. Last year I read 26 books. That isn't the most I could do; I could read one book a week usually, if it isn't a long book. I'm being realistic. There is house work and cooking to do and I sleep at night. Through the Christmas season I started the book that is the basis for my Bible study group's study book. It has gone very slowly because it required more thinking.

There are so many books to read. It is overwhelming to think about. My first real job was at Waldenbooks. For five years I worked with the books we sold and became very familiar with titles and authors and I bought a lot of books at a discount. Only in the past two years have I started reading fiction. I was primarily a non-fiction reader before that. 

Most of my time was spent reading the Bible and that is what I still need to be reading the most of. The Bible is the best book for reading. I have read through the Bible in a year many times in many versions. Though some books of the Bible are hard to stay focused on, most of them are filled with insight and reminders of how I should live my life. And I need those reminders.

John concludes his first book in the Bible with the following. "Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written," (John 21:25 NIV).

May we use the Bible to read and learn more about Jesus. Keeping the Word of God in our hearts and minds, makes us strong in our faith. 

No comments:

Post a Comment