Monday, January 16, 2023

Full Body Exam

During the past few months I have been treated for various kinds of skin cancer. All because I'm a blue-eyed blonde who spent too much time in the sun getting sunburns. I'm fortunate that none of the cancers have been melanoma. Mine have been basal cell or squamous cell carcinomas or benign actinic keratosis. I've had two Mohs surgeries to remove cancers on my left arm and hand.

The Mohs surgery was something I hadn't heard of before. It is common in treating skin cancer, following a biopsy of the sight. The Mohs surgeon removes the skin cancer including a border all around the area then has a lab analysis of the tissue while the patient waits. If the margins are clear the wound is closed, if there is still cancer on the margins the area is processed again and repeated until the area is clear of cancer.

I've had many precancerous spots frozen off with liquid nitrogen. Now, I see my dermatologist every six months for a full body exam, checking for cancerous spots. This will probably continue the rest of my life.

Cancer spots are a lot like sin. They invade the body making it less than pure. If allowed to continue to grow there will be the consequence of death until Jesus is chosen as the Savior.

"Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners--of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his unlimited patience as an example for those who would believe on him and receive eternal life," (1 Timothy 1:15-16 NIV).

I'm so thankful for Jesus' sacrificial love, of His dying on the cross for my sins. Just as I am thankful for dermatologists who treat the cancers on my body. God sent His Son to save us from our blemishes of sin. God is so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment