Monday, July 8, 2024

Reminders

Sheep have always been a reminder to me of my Shepherd who leads me through life. If you have ever been in my house you know that I have many reminders. When we were on the farm I had plenty of live reminders walking around the pastures but when we moved to town I was left with all the sheep statues I have collected over the years. John and the grandkids have counted over 300. 

Strangely enough I still imagine sheep in the pasture when I look over the neighbor's back yard. He has a beautifully landscaped park-like lawn. When I quickly look out the window, the cream colored rocks look like sheep lying on the grass.

"He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young," (Isaiah 40:11 NIV).

I love the image this scripture invokes. Perhaps there is a shepherd's staff in His hand as He kneels to gather up some young lambs. They are drawn to Him, just as I am. I am one of those lambs, tenderly cushioned in the Savior's arms, close to His heart. The mothers flock in to be near their lambs and the Savior. 

"Savior, like a shepherd lead us, Much we need Thy tender care; In Thy pleasant pastures feed us, For our use Thy folds prepare: Blessed Jesus, blessed Jesus, Thou hast bought us, Thine we are; Blessed Jesus, blessed Jesus, Thou hast bought us, Thine we are.  We are Thine, do Thou befriend us, Be the guardian of our way; Keep Thy flock, from sin defend us, Seek us when we go astray: Blessed Jesus, blessed Jesus, Hear, O hear us when we pray; Blessed Jesus, blessed Jesus, Hear, O hear us when we pray."  

The hymn, "Savior, Like a Shepherd Lead Us," was attributed to Dorothy A. Thrupp in 1836, and William B. Bradbury, 1859. May the image of our Shepherd be real to us today as He guides us in our life, His way.

No comments:

Post a Comment