Monday, July 29, 2024

Seeking the Prize

I love to watch the Olympics. I have zero, zilch, nil, naught, absolutely no athletic ability so I watch out of admiration for the athletes. I can't even imagine the hours of dedication, physical training, and practice, practice, practice, plus memorization of routines, as well as mental preparation the athletes put into their sport. 

The team support shown between individuals is great to see. The embraces following competition and during the games show the shared desires for success and understanding. When disappointment comes teammates are there for each other to offer support and encouragement, even when they compete between themselves.

I cheer on more than the United States athletes. I was excited for Leon Marchand, the 22-year-old France swimmer who won his first medal - gold - in front of his home crowd. I will cheer on the Ukraine athletes as they compete while burdened by the war at home. I enjoy seeing the flags of patriotism waved by spectators from around the world.

"Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize," (1 Corinthians 9:24-26 NIV).

There are many more days of the Olympics to enjoy. I know there will be surprises and touching stories to hear and hopefully great successes for the United States athletes. There are 10,714 athletes competing in 329 events in 32 sports in Paris. What a representation of the world.

Lord God, I pray for peace over our lands. May these Olympic Games remind the world that we can live and work and play in peace. Open our hearts to share our faith with others. Help us stay in the race for eternal life with You and show us the prize that is before us. Thank You for sending Your Son to be our Savior, as we pray in His Holy Name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment